Book Now

Halkidiki

Petralona Caves

Petralona Caves at a distance of 12 kilometers, one finds an area of worldwide reputation, thanks to the paleontological finds, and also a place of exceptional natural beauty. The entrance to the cave is an artificial tunnel about 100 meters, was opened in landfills, which due to erosion of the slopes of the mountain have overlapped the old natural entrance, sealing the concave for more than half a million years, until the day that is discovered in 1959. The indoor temperature remains stable at around 17 (+ 1) degrees Celsius winter - summer. Right and left walls of the tunnel are windows that contain stone and bone tools and bones, jaws and teeth of various animals. The bulk of the findings, however, set forth in Exhibit Hall Museum of Anthropology has been erected next to the cave. Where the tracks stopped the car and ending the artificial tunnel begins in the same cave, with the first small "hall of the Anthropological Association of Greece." At this point, there is left a hypothetical reconstruction of the life of ancient man. Like the other representations, particularly animals. Right, in the same room, beneath a clear plastic, have been disclosed and remain in place horse bones, a jaw deer, a wild ass's jawbone and a Palaeolithic tool from quartz. Note that the names of the halls and galleries facilitate excavation etc. scientific and technical work.

For more information’s and opening hours visit www.petralona-cave.gr
N. Kallikratia – Petralona 12 km – 15΄

Museum of Byzantine Culture, Halkidiki “Justinianus”

The Center for Byzantine Culture Justinianus is located in a region of Halkidiki that was very important during prehistoric and historic times it was built by the emperor Justinian I, (c. 540 A.D.) to fortify the canal of Kassandra peninsula. The old buildings once belonged to the monastery of Russian Saint Panteleimon, Mt Athos, there were hosted temporarily the refugees after the Greek-Turkish War of Asia Minor (1922) during 1920’s -1930 there was established a hospital of the Red Cross and finally it was pressed into service by the Occupation Troops during War World II.

The Museum hosts the main archeological finds of South Halkidiki, an organized “guided tour” to Mt. Athos based an a large-scale model of it side with digital digital screens, the open Centre for the Conversation of Byzantine Antiquities, Open Museum: history of Halkidiki (Palaeolithic to Post-Byzantine times, prehistoric and classical antiquities as well)

(2373032390-98) 19 km 18΄ N. Kallikratia – N. Flogita

Ancient Olynthus

The museum opened in July 1998 in a building at the archaeological site of ancient Olynthus Halkidiki.

The discoveries are kept in the Archaeological Museum Polygyros. The museum of Olynthus has only audiovisual material, which is intended to give visitors a comprehensive overview of the archaeological site of Olynthus, starting with the city's history and continues with a description of the excavation and restoration.
Visitors learn that the city was built by the Plan Ippodomenea (two wide avenues ten (square) houses, and a sewage system every five homes). An Olynthian house took shape paste (a square, two-storey house with rooms that overlook a covered inner courtyard) and was built with stones and clay, with the superstructure of unbaked bricks reinforced with a wooden frame. In most homes, the floor of compacted earth, but four have mosaic floors of gravel and lime.

The photos and short texts describing the local organization (food preparation, food storage, knitting) and economic life of the city (stonework, koroplastics, agricultural activities, recreation, symposia).

Visitors can also learn about the course of the excavations, the work of Robinson in 1928 to the excavations of 1990 and 1992.

Hours By appointment, Telephone: (+30) 23730 91000
Nea Kallikratia – Nea Moudania – Polygyros – Olynthos 32 km 28΄

Birthplace of Aristoteles “Stageira”

Birthplace of Aristoteles, the greatest philosopher of ancient times and the teacher of Alexander the Great.

The city was founded in ca. 655 B.C. by colonists from Andros. After the Persian Wars it joined the First Athenian League, in 424 B.C. it rebelled against it, and during the Peloponnesian War became an ally of the Spartans against Athens. Later, the city joined the Chalkidian League and in 348 B.C. it was captured by king Philip II.

Tradition has it that the inhabitants of Stageira tranferred Aristotle's relics to the city, buried it there, and founded a festival in his honour, called the "Aristoteleia".
Nea Kallikratia – Nea Moudania – Arnaia – Olymbiada 92 km 1:39 ΄